Monday, January 11, 2016

Cleaning Out Your Pantry For Health

    "Start by going through your pantry and refrigerator to identify and discard common unhealthy foods."  ~ Andrew Weil, MD

      In 2001 when I started a doctoral program in traditional naturopathy, Dr. Andrew Weil’s book 8Weeks to Optimum Health was required reading for my first course. And the very first step toward creating optimum health was cleaning out my pantry! 

     I got rid of any food products made with artificial fats, artificial sweeteners and artificial coloring. That would include margarine, vegetable oil and solid vegetable shortenings, as well as products made with them – such as cookies and crackers.  I also got rid of all canned and processed food and products with refined sugars.

    Cleaning out my pantry in 2001 was a great first start, but I got even bigger health benefits when I went on a grain-free, low-glycemic diet in 2008.  Until I went grain-free, I didn't realize I had swelling in my hands and feet.  Within 3 days of eliminating grains from diet, my shoes became loose and my rings twirled around my fingers. As the inflammation in my body decreased, tendonitis in my elbows and achilles tendons disappeared.  I also lost a significant amount of weight during that year. The only time I've had tendonitis since is when I accidentally consume grains, especially wheat. 

    Today my pantry looks very different. I used to have rows of canned and processed boxed goods. Now my pantry has a bottle of extra-virgin olive oil, canisters of protein powder (be sure to read the label on your protein powder - some contain refined sugar and wheat!), and bags of dried beans, almond flour, garbanzo bean flour, and flaxseed meal. My pantry mostly stores items like paper goods, trash bags, light bulbs, and vinegar for cleaning the floor!

     Cultivating and consuming grains is a fairy recent activity in the history of mankind. There is a theory that a segment of the population is not adapted to processing grains. It is clear that I am one of them. Grains convert to sugar in the body, destabilizing blood sugar levels and creating inflammation. Consuming raw fruits and vegetables decreases inflammation, as well as eliminating grains. 

     So…what’s in your pantry?  What can you get rid of that will benefit your health?



          For more energy healing solutions for sensitive and creative women, subscribe to this blog and go to my website to subscribe to my newsletter and receive a FREE recording "3 Keys to Removing the Blocks to Getting What You Want in Life" and a power-packed Energy Medicine Resource Bundle with handouts for my most effective energy healing skills! While you are there, check out my award-winning books and programs that can teach you everything you need to know to live a healing way of life and awaken your greater health.

   Thank you for supporting this blog by using the amazon links embedded in this article for ANY purchase.  Your support is greatly appreciated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind comment. Please note that comments that contain links will not be approved..