Thursday, March 10, 2016

How Play Can Make You More Productive

   "The opposite of play is not work - the opposite of play is depression." ~ Dr. Stuart Brown, Play: How it Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul.

    For the past few months, I've been working on expanding my business online. Unfortunately, in my quest to complete a long list of tasks I started working every evening and weekend. It wasn't long before I lost my balance and was spending more and more hours being less and less productive. All work and no play makes Heidi a dull girl.

A Workaholic Culture

     I know I'm not alone. The American work culture is decidedly workaholic and focused on hyperproduction.. But overworking not only decreases productivity and creativity, it has a detrimental effect on health.  This is because without proper rest, sleep, and play, our energetic rhythms become flattened, which depresses our biological rhythms. In this post, I will talk about play.

      Play is the basis of art, fashion, movies, books, games and sports. It is not rigid or competitive. Play is purposeless, voluntary, uninhibited, improvisational, varied, pleasurable and energizing. Play adds excitement and adventure to our lives, increasing productivity and happiness.

     Corporate America is beginning to recognize the importance of play through the hiring of individuals with a strong play history. They do this because they recognize that innovation comes through play and those lacking in childhood play are also lacking in problem-solving skills.

The Energizing Effects of Play

     Bringing playful energy into my energy healing sessions has a dramatically positive effect on the healing process. Play is energy medicine! A playful approach accelerates releases of energy disruptions, raises frequency, restores vibrancy, and harmonizes.  I have noticed this effect on my own energy when I'm engaged in play. Play makes me feel tingely and buzzy throughout my body.

     What kinds of play did you enjoy as a child?  What creative endeavor do you enjoy?  Give yourself permission to do it now.

     The possibilities for adult play are limitless. Here are just a few examples:
  •      coloring in an adult coloring book
  •      blowing bubbles
  •      throwing around a ball
  •      playing card games or board games
  •      reading for pleasure 
  •      engaging in a hobby or craft
  •      dancing to music
  •      planning a fun outing or activity with friends
  •      swinging on a swing
  •      acting out your feelings in a melodramatic fashion


     Did you know that recordings of the sounds dogs make when they play calms and soothes shelter dogs? (The clip below is of my dogs playing.) If the sound of playing can have that much of an effect on dogs, imagine how much harmony you can experience by actually playing!



      For more energy healing solutions for sensitive and creative women, subscribe to this blog and go to my website to subscribe to my newsletter and receive a FREE recording "3 Keys to Removing the Blocks to Getting What You Want in Life" and a power-packed Energy Medicine Resource Bundle with handouts for my most effective energy healing skills! While you are there, check out my award-winning books that contain everything you need to know to live a healing way of life and awaken your greater health.


Thank you for supporting this blog by using the amazon link embedded in this article for ANY purchase.  Your support is greatly appreciated! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind comment. Please note that comments that contain links will not be approved..