Monday, May 16, 2016

What Does a Coincidence Really Mean?

     "I do not believe in meaningless coincidences. I believe every coincidence is a message, a clue about a particular facet of our lives that requires our attention." ~ Deepak Chopra, The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire: Harnessing the Infinite Power of Coincidence 

     I recently watched the movie The Danish Girl.  The film is based on the true story of Danish painter Einar Wegener. Below is one of Wegener's landscapes.


     In the film, Wegener's wife asks him why he always paints the same thing - a row of trees. What we now know is that Wegener was hiding a secret - even from himself.  Although born biologically a male, Wegener felt like a female inside. The rigid row of trees in his paintings were a reflection of how he had to keep himself in line -- blocking his feelings to prevent his authentic self from emerging. Because it didn't feel safe for him to be his authentic female self.

     Although its no secret, I have also been "hiding" something in my body. I've been carrying the pain of being an abused child. Decades of holding myself in line have taken a toll on my body. My muscles and tendons are full of scar tissue and adhesions from unconsciously and habitually restricting my physical movements. Our bodies were meant to move 3-dimensionally. But when we have been traumatized, we can restrict our movement, voice, thinking and beliefs to  "the straight and narrow" to protect ourselves and keep us safe. This shuts down our energy and prevents our authentic self from emerging. Because it doesn't feel safe to be authentic.

     I've been getting physical therapy to break down the adhesions and scar tissue in my body. As the physical restrictions are released, the trauma of the past is released with it. The day after I saw The Danish Girl, I had one of these PT sessions. As I got off the table at the end of the session, I noticed this print on the wall:


     I was immediately struck by the similarities to Wegener's landscapes. It may seem that seeing two landscapes with a similar pattern within 24 hours is a "coincidence." But what does a coincidence really mean?
  •  It means to pay attention.  
  •  It means this is significant.  
  •  It means a connection has just been made
  •  It means an opportunity to become more conscious has presented itself.
  •  It means you've just been provided with a clue to more information about your circumstances.
    If we are afraid to look at what has been hidden, we will dismiss these occurrences. When we have the courage and willingness to look at these patterns, we grow.

The Choice

     When I noticed the pattern of similarity, I could have dismissed it. But I made a choice to meditate and write about the experience in my journal. It helped me to become more conscious of what had been hidden, and to pay more attention to how I move my body.

     When a coincidence happens, you too have a choice. You can dismiss, or find the courage and willingness to look at what you may be hiding. We restrict ourselves in thought, belief, voice and movement to protect ourselves. But that protection restricts our energy flow and can become a prison. It blocks joy, freedom and the fulfillment of your heart's desires. If you have the courage and willingness to expand beyond self-imposed limitations:
  • Take note of any coincidences, synchronicity, serendipity or repeating patterns in your dreams and life in an observing state of mind, free of judgment.
  • Write them down in your journal
  • Meditate on these patterns, asking what is yours to learn from them and see what insights emerge.
  • If you don't understand the message, ask for another sign that will clarify.
      For more energy healing solutions for sensitive and creative women, subscribe to this blog and go to my website to subscribe to my newsletter and receive a FREE recording "3 Keys to Removing the Blocks to Getting What You Want in Life" and a power-packed Energy Medicine Resource Bundle with handouts for my most effective energy healing skills! While you are there, check out my award-winning books and energy healing online courses that can teach you everything you need to know to live a healing way of life and awaken your greater health.

     Thank you for supporting this blog by using the amazon link embedded in this article for ANY purchases.  Your support is greatly appreciated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind comment. Please note that comments that contain links will not be approved..